Here are the books on the list that I've read. Almost the whole top 20 and then a few more.
1. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien 2. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams 3. Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card 4. The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert 5. A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin 6. 1984, by George Orwell 7. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury 8. The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov 9. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley 12. The Wheel Of Time Series, by Robert Jordan 13. Animal Farm, by George Orwell 14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson 16. I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov 17. Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein 18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss 19. Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut 62. The Sword Of Truth, by Terry Goodkind 69. The Farseer Trilogy, by Robin Hobb 70. The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger 87. The Book Of The New Sun, by Gene Wolfe 90. The Elric Saga, by Michael Moorcock 94. The Caves Of Steel, by Isaac Asimov 99. The Xanth Series, by Piers Anthony
I don't want to comment on every one, that would be boring. But I have a few notes.
- Of those on the list, my favorite recent reads are #5 and #18 and obviously #2.
- I read #90 as a child and recently scanned it only to find it didn't hold up well IMO. I want to re-read Foundation (#8) to see if I still like it as an adult. I have high hopes.
- Did anyone see the syndicated TV series based on #62? I kinda enjoyed it.
- I started but couldn't get through #87, same for #62
There are a few others on the list that have been recommended to me and I want to get to one of these days
10. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman (nobody told me about this but I must finish off the top 10, right?) 11. The Princess Bride, by William Goldman (how have I not read this one!?) 40. The Chronicles Of Amber, by Roger Zelazny 83. The Culture Series, by Iain M. Banks
Outside of that, much of the list is unknown to me (not to mention the other books under consideration, full list here). Anything I should add to this second list?